From waste to resource: feasibility of 4 valorisation chains
The aim of Horti-BlueC is illustrating the feasibility of processing the waste streams into added value products, i.e., into feedstocks for sustainable growing media, not only technically but also and mainly from the organizational point of view. We work on 4 value chains (VCs):
- VC1: CO2 recycling and conversion of biomass into biochar and heat through large scale gasification
- VC2: Conversion of shellfish waste into chitin
- VC3: Direct reuse of spent growing media or processing into biochar or compost
- VC4: Bulk replacement in growing media: fibers for growing media
Each chain starts from residual material which is being processed into a valuable product.
To study the feasibility of each of the valorisation chains, a SWOT analysis was performed for the new solutions suggested by the project versus a baseline scenario which describes the current situation.
Download the factsheets with SWOT analyses here:
- SWOT analysis Valorisation chain 1: conversion of biomass into biochar and heat through large scale gasification
- SWOT analysis Valorisation chain 2: conversion of shellfish waste into chitin
- SWOT analysis Valorisation chain 3: direct reuse of spent growing media or processing into biochar or compost
- SWOT analysis Valorisation chain 4: fibers for bulk replacement in growing media for tomato and strawberry
Horti-BlueC is setting up a functional online platform supporting the shellfish and horticultural target groups for a more circular economy implementing the 4 valorization chains. Currently, Horti-BlueC has developed two tools for this online platform, a decision tool and a mapping tool.
Want to learn more about the valorisation chains?
Horti-BlueC is organising a webinar for each of the valorisations chains. The webinars are free, so register now for one or more of the webinars !